With so many modern treatments available, sometimes it’s good to go back to basics and look at what has worked long before modern technology infiltrated the beauty world. As we search for a simpler way to tackle our skin issues, we look to Ancient China, which has for centuries been the pinnacle of natural treatments for not only beauty but health and chronic illnesses also.
What is Gua Sha?
Gua Sha is a treatment using a flat stone or roller ‘scrape’ the skin to stimulate blood flow and encourage drainage of inflamed areas. This is to encourage the correct flow of qi (pronounced “chi”). It is usually administered by an acupuncturist who is trained to administer Gua Sha therapy.
Gua Sha Benefits
The benefits of Gua Sha are many for both face and body:
- Relieves tension
- Reduces puffiness
- Reduces inflammation
- Helps reduce sinus pressure
- Reduces tightness in shoulders, neck and back
- Alleviates tension headaches
- Alleviates migraines
- Helps neck pain and swelling
- Encourages correct blood flow
How to Gua Sha at Home
Gua Sha can be easily used at home as part of your daily facial routine, place the tool in the fridge overnight for best results for reducing puffiness:
- Start in the middle of your forehead and work your way out toward the temples, all the way to the hairline. Repeat three times on each side.
- Gently press and hold the tool under each eye, then over each eye, with the eyelid shut. Sweep the Gua Sha tool over the under eye area gently and out to the temple, all the way to the hairline. Repeat three times on each side.
- Angle the tool at 45 degrees in an upward lifting motion, working it from your smile line and over your entire cheek. Do about eight sweeps in each direction.
- Gently guide the tool from the middle of your chin along your jawline toward the ear. Move the tool behind the earlobe, and then down the neck to drain excess fluid into the lymph glands. Repeat three times on each side.
Does it work?
Many users absolutely swear by the Gua Sha roller for reducing puffiness and redness in the face. In addition, Gua Sha is incredibly relaxing and can be a beneficial stress reliever for hectic daily life!